Type-27, codenamed "The Chariot" (チャリオット), is an armored, bardiche-wielding behemoth. He is the first boss in The House of the Dead, and later returns in House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn. Originally created by Dr. Roy Curien, the Chariot was later resurrected by Curien's associate Thornheart.
The Chariot's raw flesh is vulnerable to bullets, but is protected by impervious armor. In the original game, his weak point is an exposed part of his breastplate; in Scarlet Dawn, the armor must be blasted off with an RPG.
Bestiary Overview Edit
In both appearances, the Chariot is a hulking, gas-masked humanoid clad in a suit of metallic armor. It maims opponents with a bloodied bardiche.
In the original House of the Dead, Chariot's weak point is the exposed right side of its breastplate; with each shot, it vomits green fluids. At low heath, the Chariot sheds the armor to reveal its true form: a slow-moving, weak, rotting humanoid with pulsating tendrils. Chunks of its flesh may be blasted down to bone, thus killing the Chariot.
In Scarlet Dawn, the Chariot is larger and sports coolant metal armor. His skin glows red and emits steam. When the battle begins, the Chariot's exposed joints are its weak points. The players eventually gain an RPG; the rocket strips the armor on whatever part of the Chariot's body it hits, and this becomes his weakpoint until he is killed.
On December 18th, 1998, when Curien unleashed his creations upon fellow researchers, AMS agents Thomas Rogan and "G" stormed Curien's mansion. They found Rogan's fianceé, Sophie, who was flown away by Hangedman; when the agents later found Sophie inside, the Chariot dropped through a ceiling window and seemingly killed her. The agents defeated him, with Rogan swearing revenge.
The Chariot was later encountered (and defeated) again in Curien's underground laboratory.
On December 6, 2006, Thornheart -- affiliated with Curien's research financier, the DBR Corporation -- resurrected the Chariot to roam the ground floor and prison of Scarecrow Mansion. This was part of "Noah's Ark", Thornheart's effort to decimate humanity in a completion of Curien and Caleb Goldman's legacy.
The Chariot first appears in the prologue chapter, hurling zombies at agents Kate Green and Ryan Taylor. While fighting in the mansion's prison and research room, Kate and Ryan damaged the Chariot with RPGs, destroying sections of his armor. Upon defeat, he shedded its armor and fell to the ground; its bardiche fell upon its neck.
- In the prototype arcade build for The House of the Dead, the Chariot was named "Bacchus".
- The Chariot appears in a montage sequence during the intro of The House of the Dead III.
- The Chariot is the only boss from the first game missing from The House of the Dead 2's flashback intro on console ports.
- Whenever the Chariot's armor is shed in The House of the Dead, his flesh has been shown as either a green or red color depending on which version of the game being playing, corresponding to the color of blood being used.
- Contrary to popular belief, the color of the fluids the Chariot vomits while being shot at do not change color depending on the version played, and are green in every version.
- The Chariot from House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn is the first boss in the series where his weakpoints have a different designation other than the final bosses, labelled as "Protected" in Kate's PDA. This is because his entire body is armored.
- During the Chariot's second encounter in The House of the Dead, there is a glitch if the player shoots his weak point midair before the battle begins. The Chariot will take the hit, then walk above the player and endlessly behind them. This will soft lock the game, requiring a restart.
Official Art Edit
Concept Art Edit
Official Art Edit
- ↑ In House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn, Kate Green and Ryan Taylor use male pronouns when referring to the Chariot.