The mansion was built in medieval times; Curien, who lived there with his son Daniel, hailed from a noble family. Daniel fell terminally ill, with Curien desperate to save his life. With financial backing from Caleb Goldman and the DBR Corporation, Curien built and used a high-tech research facility within the mansion.
Curien's experiments were to "...remove the barrier between life and death," thus curing Daniel. However, Curien's obsession and abandonment by his researchers drove him mad. On December 18th, 1998, he unleashed his experiments upon his staff in an attempt to destroy mankind; AMS agents Thomas Rogan and G neutralized the threat. Curien himself was killed by his "masterpiece", the Magician, who in turn the agents destroyed.
Sometime after, Goldman visited the mansion and took Curien's research to further his own plans.
Appearances in Other Media Edit
- The Curien Mansion appears in Zombie Revenge, a spin-off with several other references to the House of the Dead series. The stage itself its named "The House of the Dead", and the music is a new arrangement of the first chapter theme. However, the interior sections are different. No mention of Curien is made, and the mansion serves as ZED's base of operations.
- The Curien Mansion is featured in several games in the Sega Superstars series developed by Sumo Digital. The House of the Dead name is not used, with the series instead referred to as "Curien Mansion" or abbreviated as "HOTD", as the series is banned in Germany.
- The mansion's front yard is a tennis court in Sega Superstars Tennis. There is a mini-game which involves fighting waves of creatures with tennis balls.
- Three race tracks in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing -- Outer Forest, Sewer Scraps and Deadly Route -- take place throughout the Curien Mansion.
- The mansion returns as a single track in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed named Graveyard Gig. Zobio & Zobiko, the protagonists from The House of the Dead: EX and the only playable racers representing the series, can be seen getting married in later laps. As Transformed is the only game in the Superstars series to see a Japanese release, the Japanese version brings back the House of the Dead name.
- The Curien Mansion appears in Project X Zone as a battlefield; here, Zombie Revenge's Rikiya Busujima and Resident Evil characters Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine must defeat Nemesis and L.Raptor.
- The Curien Mansion serves a similar function with the Spencer Mansion in the Resident Evil franchise in many ways, such as zombies and creatures roaming around the mansion, both had a secret laboratory underneath the mansion, and both housed creatures created by the antagonists which eventually turned on their masters.
- It is not specified what country is the Curien Mansion located in, though fans assume it is located in England or Scotland, as the driver seat in Thomas Rogan's car is on the right-hand side, a characteristic of British cars.
- ↑ Page 19 of The House of the Dead Sega Saturn manual
- ↑ The House of the Dead III - First flashback
- ↑ The House of the Dead 2 - The Third Chapter: Darkness (opening dialogue from Harry Harris)
- ↑ The House of the Dead III - Second flashback
- ↑ The House of the Dead III - Third flashback
- ↑ The House of the Dead III - Fourth flashback
- ↑ The House of the Dead
- ↑ The House of the Dead 2 - Opening cutscene (console only)