Bestiary Overview Edit
The Hangedman has the claws, wings and glowing red eyes of a bat, yet also the body shape and speech of a human, while its head in the original game is bird-like. After sending waves of Devilons at its prey, the creature flies about for an opportunity to swoop down upon play. The weak skin tissue and body muscle on its chest serve as the Hangedman's weak point.
In Scarlet Dawn, the Hangedman has a more gargoyle-like appearance with a more bat-like head, enhanced agility, and resistance to fire.
- "This is as far as you go. I'll finish you here!"
- ―Hangedman to Rogan and "G", before dropping researchers to their deaths.[src]
Rogan and "G" confronted the Hangedman on a rooftop, witnessing the creature drop two researchers to their deaths. It attempted ramming the agents off the roof; ultimately, it was killed and plunged to the courtyard below.
The Hangedman reappeared in a limestone cavern within Curien's underground laboratory, but was defeated again.
December 6, 2006, AMS agents Kate Green and Ryan Taylor fought through Thornheart's creature-infested mansion. Upon learning that Thornheart was in a nearby church, they took to the rooftops for a helicopter; the Hangedman appeared, destroying it and engaging Kate and Ryan in battle. The creature set the roof on fire, which the agents extinguished, and eventually plunged to its death ablaze.
Both iterations of the Hangedman's boss battle begin with an onslaught of attacking Devilons. Killing all the Devilons (either one at a time, or diminishing half of the Hangedman's health, which kills them all), initiates the next stage.
In battle, Type 041 will first send out his Devilons towards the player. After killing all of the Devilons or diminishing half of his health, which would result in all the Devilons dying instantly, the Hangedman will fly around and strike at the player while yelling out "Die!" (in a somehow normal humanoid voice). After diminishing a quarter of his health, he will fly above and push the player, leaving the player dangling on the roof. The Hangedman will then appear and use the same tactic, once his health is completely diminished, he will fall, screaming, to his death.
The Hangedman's weak points are his head, torso, and abdomen, making it much easier to harm him, as his only means of protection (besides Devilons) is his flying.
"Nobody leaves here alive!"
- ''This is as far as you go. I'II finish you here!"
- The Hangedman is the first boss to appear in the series (excluding the Magician, who first appears in The House of the Dead's intro).
- The Hangedman's name in The House of the Dead's prototype build was "Devilon", with its Type number being 16.
- The Hangedman makes a brief appearance in The House of the Dead 2's opening sequence.
- In home console and PC ports for The House of the Dead, the Hangedman lacks ears, goggles and detailed armor.
- The Hangedman appears briefly in the "Graveyard Gig" track in Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed, tearing apart portions of the roof of Curien's mansion, creating a gap for the racers to enter.