Type-0001, codenamed "The Star" (スター Sutā ), is a levitating sword-wielding humanoid. He is the fifth boss in The House of the Dead 4, as well as the second boss in Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX.
The Star was created by Caleb Goldman to serve in a posthumous 2003 outbreak. Like Dr. Roy Curien's Magician, the Star is capable of flight and projectile attacks. His primary weak point is the scar on his chest, but at low health his head becomes vulnerable as well.
Bestiary Overview Edit
The Star is a pale, blank-eyed humanoid dressed in a red trench coat. He dual wields butterfly swords and features a large scar on his chest. During the battle, he flies around the foyer of Goldman's headquarters in a purple aura.
His attacks initially involve charging his swords with energy, before either slashing players (in front or from above) or launching a volley of energy projectiles. At low health, he will attempt to spin violently into players like a tornado.
Initially, the Star's sole weak point is his chest scar. As the fight continues, however, his hood is destroyed and exposes his head for damage as well.
The Star was one of several creatures unleashed by the late Caleb Goldman, head of the DBR Corporation and financier of Dr. Roy Curien's research, in a posthumous 2003 outbreak. Goldman sought using the creatures to counteract human overpopulation, thus protecting nature.
AMS agents James Taylor and Kate Green investigated the outbreak. Upon learning of Goldman's responsibility -- and his plan to launch nuclear missiles worldwide -- they drove to his headquarters. The Star met them in the foyer of the building, challenging them to a "test of strength", per Goldman's "parting wish" ; upon defeat, it exploded, injuring James in the process.
The Star also appears in Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX, where he is depicted as a theater actor and speaks in french. He was sent by his master, Dr. Curien, to capture Zobio and Zobiko,
In this comical spin-off, the Star is portrayed as a French-speaking, narcissistic stage actor. Dr. Curien sent him to capture Zobio and Zobiko, with whom he was romantically attracted to. He ambushes them in a theater, attacking with bats and mechanical claws. After his defeat, the Star apologized to Zobiko, only to be met with a slap in the face.
He continued following the pair until Dr. Curien's final creation, the World, ambushed them in a trainyard. During their battle, the Star tried to steal Zobiko away, but was foiled by Zobio. As the train cart carrying Zobio and Zobiko fell from the sky having been carried off by the newly-transformed World, the Star rescued them both by holding onto the train while they battled the World.
After the World's defeat, it set itself to self-destruct, destroying everything nearby. The Star once again saved both Zobio and Zobiko from the explosion, only reporting to Dr. Curien about their apparent demise, leaving the two with their newfound freedom.
- Coincidentally, the Star's appearance resembles that of Dante, the main protagonist of Devil May Cry, as both wear red long coats and wield large swords. The Star's glow also resembles the demonic glow Dante possesses when he transforms into his demon form (known as Devil Trigger in Devil May Cry).
- The Star's pale appearance and his hooded red trench coat are also evocative of Edgar Allen Poe's Masque of the Red Death.
- The Star's mask and his portrayal as a theater actor in The House of the Dead EX may be a reference to Erik, the titular phantom from The Phantom of the Opera.
- The Star's appearance, location, type number, and attacks indicate that he is designed as a successor to the Magician.
- In 4, the PDA marks his head as "No Damage (?)". He is the only boss in the game that has a question mark on a "no damage" body part.
- His type number is 0001, making him very similar to Magician and Wheel of Fate (who are Type-0 and Type-0000, respectively), in that they're all humanoid creatures with unique powers.
Official Art Edit
- ↑ Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX confirms the Star's gender as male.