Type-205, codenamed "Strength," (ストレングス) is a masked, chainsaw-wielding behemoth. It is the fourth boss in The House of the Dead 2. Strength was created by Caleb Goldman to be a suicidal gladiator against his adversaries.
Chasing players in the maze-like Coliseum, Strength slashes with its chainsaw or hurls the axes stuck in its flesh. Its weak point is its head.
Bestiary Overview Edit
Strength is a massive shirtless and muscular creature. Wearing a mask, it wields a chainsaw with the word "BLAME" etched on the blade. Axes are lodged in the creature's right shoulder and left thigh. Its flesh is lacerated.
In combat, Strength pursues players for a chainsaw slash or axe throw. It may burst through or leap from atop walls to attack. Headshots damage and stun Strength; the creature defends its weak point by erratically swinging the chainsaw.
Strength was derived from geneticist Dr. Roy Curien's mad research; after Curien's death in the 1998 Curien Mansion Incident, his financier Caleb Goldman developed Strength and other creatures for the next two years. Goldman released them in Venice, Italy on February 26th, 2000, scheming to decimate humanity and preserve the life cycle.
AMS dispatched agents to investigate, including James Taylor and Gary Stewart. The two battled creatures and evacuated the populace. While navigating Venice's canals with partners Amy Crystal and Harry Harris, Goldman -- via phone message -- invited them to meet him at the Coliseum; despite fearing a trap, the agents agreed.
The four split up, with Amy and Harry entering the Coliseum directly; Strength captured them, injuring Harry. After losing contact, James and Gary fought to the Coliseum arena. On a large screen, Goldman mocked the agents before trapping them in a labyrinth. He released Strength from a cage with Amy and Harry inside. James and Gary defeated the creature. James and Gary then returned to the cage from where Strength had emerged and were reunited with Amy and Harry. Harry then gave James the keys to his car.
Goldman's final creation, the Emperor, could shape-shift into most of the game's bosses; among its transformations was Strength, who will attempt to slash the players.
Strength is the fourth boss in The Pinball of the Dead. Similar to its appearance in 2, Strength wields a chainsaw. During the battle, Strength will wildly swing its chainsaw as it moves around the screen, blocking the player's attack.
Attack Pattern Edit
Strength's first attack pattern consists of chasing the player(s) in the labyrinth in one-by-one combat during the battle, the brute will eventually hide behind and demolish walls to try and surprise them. The second one has him climbing up the walls and leaping down at the player(s), and if they shoot his mask he will be stunned and fall over, then he will keep his distance and throw axes at them, repeating the pattern.
After Strength's health got depleted by two-thirds, he will swing his chainsaw around to protect his head before resuming his pattern. The mutagen that has been injected into him causes his movement speed to increase the more damage he sustains, making the battle increasingly more difficult until he eventually gets put out of his misery.
- Strength's design appears to bear some resemblance to the chainsaw-wielding serial killer Leatherface, from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre film franchise.
- According to series creator Takashi Oda during an interview from "The Website of the Dead", he considers Strength his favorite boss in the series.
- Strength appeared in The House of the Dead III's intro.
- The word "BLAME" is written on the blade of Strength's chainsaw. The same word can be seen on Max's dual chainsaws.
- Unless one regards its use as an attack by the Emperor, Strength is the only boss in The House of the Dead 2 that does not appear twice besides the Magician and the Emperor, who serve as end-of-game bosses.
- As Strength continues to be hit, its mask is slowly damaged, revealing a hideous face with bulging eyes and grey teeth.
- The House of the Dead 4 also features a chainsaw-wielding boss similar to Strength, known as the Empress.
- Strength bears some resemblance to the Brutus boss from Overkill.
- Strength can take a small amount of damage by hitting its legs, body, and hands. As a result these are not considered missed shots, and have a positive impact on the player's accuracy score.
- Much like Temperance, Strength's characteristics in the series are quite the opposite of his namesake tarot card. The tarot card Strength represents a young woman using her calm attitude to tame a lion, while the boss monster is a vicious masculine brute.
- In The Pinball of the Dead, there is a bug in which Strength may stand in the left corner. This prevents the pinball from coming out, forcing a restart.